Earlier this year, the DCCCD Board of Directors approved the Concealed Carry policy that goes into effect Aug. 1. The policy will apply to all DCCCD locations, including the LeCroy Center.
Concealed carry refers to SB11, which permits a licensed to carry (LTC) holder to carry a concealed handgun on or about their person on the campus of an institution of higher education in Texas.
DCCCD’s policy allows for “exclusionary zones,” which are areas in the district where concealed carry is prohibited. These zones include:
- Board meetings
- Polling places
- Sporting events
- District vehicles
- Childcare centers
- Healthcare centers
- Counseling centers
- Laboratories where flammable materials are used (includes tech areas such as automotive)
- Fitness centers
- Disciplinary hearing rooms
Chancellor Dr. Joe May has the power to establish “temporary exclusionary zones” when he deems necessary. Multiple factors could play into a decision to establish a temporary exclusionary zone, including:
- An activity that could incite violence
- An activity or program where the presence of alcohol could present a reasonable threat to health or safety
- Upon receipt of credible information of imminent injury
You can find a complete list of exclusionary zones in the DCCCD Board Policy Manual, CHF (LOCAL).
For more information on SB11, head over to the district’s site for more concealed carry resources.